Sunday, May 20, 2007

100% Life

There've been lot of posts on acor this past week about "statistics" in relation to survival rates for NB kids. 30% this, 15% that, and everything in between. I think we (nb parents) all know that the stats are all make believe once your child recurs - there are no stats because so few children live and there's no rhyme or reason for why a few do live. A lot of parents agreed that there was only one stat: 100% or 0%. Your child will either live or die. And for a few days I agreed with that. But then I go back (as I do again and again) to all that I read in The James Emails and I think, "there's a lot of living that can be done between now and then, if then ever even comes." (Which, of course, it will for all of us.) So 100% or 0% is a stat for every person - everyday, don't you think?

Life and living is now. It's today. Life is making memories today that you can look back on tomorrow. Living is an adventure and everyday you have should be looked at with wonderment. Living isn't what's going to happen five years from now... it's what's happening now and we should all make the best of it no matter what hardships we have to bear.

That said, we're going to live 100% today and tomorrow and the day after that, and everyday day we can that follows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a great way for us all to live our lives. Thanks to you for setting us on that path. I always marvel at your outlook and strength. You help us all to be strong. I am so proud of you.

Love you, Mom

Kristin said...

Amen...I really like the perspective on the 0%/100% statistic. My friends and I discuss this alot, being able to appreciate the simple moments and treasure the many gifts in our lives.

Kristin

NB Warrior said...

You said it PERFECT!! Enjoy every single moment we have on this earth.

Hope all is well!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that you are brave and I admire you for your strength and ability to live life to the fullest in the face of this very difficult disease affecting your son. You teach all of us a lesson. Life is very precious. Max is in my prayers.