Thursday, October 18, 2007

Why do things like this happen when only one parent is home?

Last night Andy had a dinner meeting with some guy (no offense!). While he's gone the proverbial shit hit the fan at home.

The kids are having a great evening. Dinner's done. All three of them are tearing around the house playing catch-me-if-you-can or some such nonsense. Time to give Max his supplements and night time meds. So I call him over to the table, we're chattin', putting all the syringes of meds into his mickey-button. We finish up and not 30 seconds later he gets a look on his face and says, "I'm gonna throw-up!" No throw-up bin within reach. Barf! All over the chair, down the leg and onto the rug! Touchdown! Yes, there is some on Max which is really grossing him out. Poor kid is hysterical. "Get me something to drink!"

About this time, Hannah & Nic come running into the kitchen - and right back out again. Hannah takes Nic upstairs for me. (Thank you, girl!) Max is calming down, we've got the paper towels out wiping him up, when I hear Hannah holler, "MOM! NICKY HAS DIARRHEA!" Oh, okay. Uh. My hands are full. "Hannah, read him a book, I'll be there as soon as I can," I call back. CRAP!

A few minutes later Max is feeling better, cleaned up, throw-up pants off (throw-up is still all over the chair and floor - I mean, I've got diarrhea to deal with!). We head upstairs and are welcomed by an incredible stench wafting through the hallway. Terror starts to strike me in the chest as I walk quickly toward Nicky's room. I can hear Hannah reading a book to him very calmly. I enter the room. I see Hannah in the rocker with a book and Nicky on his back on the changing table, frozen in terror himself, diaper opened up and poop exposed to the world - but still primarily in the diaper! Woo-hoo! (Funny how that could be a happy ending.)

Hannah was so please with her helpfulness, I couldn't help but smile at her. This, of course, is the first time she's ever touched one of his diapers - AND she had to take his jammie pants off, too.

Parenthood... good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only you or Hannah had peed your pants you would have had the trifecta for spewing bodily fluids! :)

I think it's not Murphy's Law anymore, but Melissa's Law! :) Keep hanging in there!

lisa

PS Who wanted the drink? You or Max?

Anonymous said...

How come all your problems made me laugh this hard?? Tears running down my cheeks! You have a neat way of expressing your daily "upsets"!

Bless Hannah's efforts AND bless Nicky for being too afraid to move!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yeah I need to know also who wanted the drink?

Just another fun night at the Mikulak's huh :)?

Here's to a QUIET weekend!